Parents & Community

Childhood lead poisoning can be prevented. It is a common but entirely preventable environmental health problem. The most important thing you can do to protect your child is to find and remove lead as soon as possible.

Lead is a toxic metal. Whether it is inhaled or swallowed, lead is harmful to the body. Lead can cause serious damage to the brain over time. It is especially harmful to young children. The harm done by lead may never go away. Even low levels of exposure can cause health problems in children.

Learn about the many ways to reduce your child’s exposure to lead before they are harmed. If you think your child has been in contact with lead, get treatment. Ask your doctor for a lead test.

The most important step you can take is to prevent lead exposure before it occurs.


To learn more, check out our information on: