Lead FAQ

Frequently asked questions about lead and lead poisoning

Lead is a chemical element and heavy metal with a high toxicity level. It is bluish-white in color and can be found anywhere from paint to toys. It is also a naturally occurring product of the Earth so it can be easily found in water, soil, and dust.
Lead is not normally found in the human body and there is no way for the body to produce lead naturally. Lead poisoning occurs when too much lead gets stored in the body. It usually enters the body through eating and breathing. When lead enters the body it is stored in the bones and other parts of the body. The body mistakes lead for iron and stores it in bones and the nervous system, though it affects nearly every system. Lead poisoning usually not outwardly visible in kids although it might be to blame for learning delays and behavior problems. There is currently no way to effectively treat lead exposure. The best thing you can do for yourself and your child is to remove the source of lead from your home and get your child tested. For more serious cases chelation therapy is used.
Children are more susceptible to the effects of lead exposure because their body and brain is still developing. They are at the most risk because they spend a lot of their time on the floor and explore the world with their hands and mouths. A child's exposure to lead can occur slowly or quickly depending on how they are exposed.
  • Lead-contaminated toys, jewelry, and candy
  • Lead-contaminated soil or dust
  • Imported or handmade pottery and tableware that uses a leaded glaze
  • Traditional folk and homeopathic remedies
  • Cosmetics
  • Imported food packaged in cans that are sealed with lead solder
  • Lead-based paint
  • Contaminated water
  • Jobs and hobbies that include lead, like shooting, auto repair, and home renovation
Even small amounts of lead may harm children. At low levels of exposure, children may have behavior problems, and get angry and frustrated easily. They have a hard time learning new things, and may develop Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and have trouble succeeding in school. At high levels, lead poisoning can cause headaches, hearing loss, brain damage, anemia, coma, and even death. Lead poisoning can harm a child’s nervous system and brain when they are still forming, which may result in permanent loss of intelligence.
Once lead is in the body, the damage it causes cannot be reversed. Chelation therapy may be used for children with very high lead levels but will only lower those levels. It will not repair the damage already done. Chelation therapy is only used when blood lead levels are very high. The best way to prevent lead poisoning is to have your child tested and keep him or her from coming into contact with lead-contaminated objects.
All children are at risk of lead poisoning.
No. Children with lead poisoning often look and act normal on the surface.
Your child’s doctor will be able to test your child for lead. Some doctors in Nevada do not know that lead is a problem here and may not offer the test to you. Insist that your child be tested for lead. A blood test is the only way to know if your child may have been exposed. Most insurance companies cover the cost of lead screenings for children.
All children need to be tested at 12 months and 24 months of age and once before age 6 if not previously tested.
No. Lead poisoning is not contagious.
  • Watch what your child is doing
  • Wash hands, fruits, and vegetables before eating and monitor your diet
    • This includes: toys, pets, vents, and removing shoes
  • Do not give children imported candy or snacks
  • Feed your child regular meals with a diet high in calcium, iron, and vitamin C and low in fat
  • Be aware of lead levels in the water and soil
  • Make sure your home is clean and your vents and filters are maintained and changed
  • Filter the water you drink
  • Run the water cold and don’t use tap water for baby formula or cooking
  • Do not give your children any home remedies unless approved by your child’s pediatrician